Chapter VII

The phone rang at eight. Sally answered it. "Not in." murmured Tyler.
"I think you are," said Sally nervously. "It's Inspector Tomlinson from Newbury police." Tyler turned over, sat up and stared at Sally. "John, what have you done?" she asked, seeing the obvious anxiety in his eyes. Tyler grabbed the phone and tried calmly to joke about having left the force a good twenty years ago.
"Still looking after young Chris, are we?" sneered a voice he strained to recognise.
"Who...?"
"Next time it will be Inspector Tomlinson. Back off, John. Austin's ours now and he's going to take a little ride. Case of mistaken identity last night but you don't know anything about that do you? You weren't there, were you?"
"Just what is this...?"
"Just a warning, John. Just a warning. Keep your mouth shut and mind your own business and keep away from Austin." The voice spoke forcefully but gently. Tyler drew a deep breath, frantically trying to find the words for the million questions flooding through his brain. The phone at the other end went down and Tyler slammed his own down in exasperation.
"John, what is it?" Sally was standing at the side of the bed.
"I don't know, Sal. I just don't know," he said, shaking his head, "something's going on and it's to do with Chris...."
"God!" shouted Sally, "That young man's got a lot to answer for. First he gives you a job and I hardly see you. Then you promise me the Earth next week. Then you go all quiet on me and next thing I know that crazy Bob's round here living off our food, drinking our coffee and getting me doing all his bloody washing. I mean, John, he's got to be bad news. I know he got off and all that and I do believe what you say but it seems to me that everything Chris touches..."
"Shut up!" shouted Tyler angrily. "The poor fellow's in big trouble - has been for ages and still is. No one else knows because he can't talk to them any more. This time, though, this time...." He trailed off then, more calmly, took Sally's hand. "Sorry, sweet - leave me be for a while, eh?" Sally knew when to push and when to ease off. She still wanted to know why the police were calling him and why it should have had so much effect but she did not want any rows. He would tell her in his own time, she hoped.

No comments:

Chapter X

He didn't have to wonder long. An Opel Monza pulled up outside. The doorbell rang. "Chris!" exclaimed Tyler, beaming from ear...