Chapter V

It was nearly a month later when Tyler had a call from Chris. "How was Greece, then?" he asked cheerfully when he recognised the voice on the line.
"We've got a problem, John." stated Chris, his voice hard and serious. "Take this number - Newbury 43266 - call me this evening. I'll explain then. It's...." The voice started then stopped.
"What's up?" asked Tyler.
"I think there are a few mountains yet to climb before the air will be clean enough to breathe," said Chris.
"God, you always talk in riddles, you clever folk!" joked Tyler, who could make neither head nor tail of the remark. "Where are you now?" he asked.
"Can't tell you now. Look, we'll get together - but give me a call around seven thirty this evening - need a bit of help with something."
"OK. Talk to you later."
"Cheers John."
Tyler called as agreed. No answer. He tried several times that night and on each of the next four evenings. All with the same result. No one answered. Using a little of the ingenuity he had always been known for, he dialled 43267 and spoke to a Mrs Collins. With a combination of chat and direct questions he learned that Mrs Collins lived at 19 Rowdon Avenue on the Newlands estate on the outskirts of Newbury. No, she did not know of a Mr Austin or a Chris... "except, of course, for my Chris - but you wouldn't want 'im, would you? Who would! Funny 'bout that name, innit. Ooh, 'ang on a minute, I did see a young man in Sheldon Grove - that's the first on the left as you come in as if you're coming in from town. Nice looking fella. All on 'is own 'e was with a shopping bag. I remember I thought to misself: 'e ought to 'ave a lady to look after 'im. I said to my Chris." Tyler thanked her and wondered how many nice looking fellas would wander round the Newlands estate. "Hundreds" he guessed out loud, "and ninety-nine of them'll be the spitting image of Chris if I listen to Mrs Collins any more. Still, there are only a few ways in or out of the estate. Might be worth going down and having a look round."

No comments:

Chapter X

He didn't have to wonder long. An Opel Monza pulled up outside. The doorbell rang. "Chris!" exclaimed Tyler, beaming from ear...